Subject Re: [firebird-support] Interested question
Author Helen Borrie
At 12:10 PM 5/03/2004 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi /heLen
>-=-==-=-=
>I understand what you are saying in regard to connect, whe do connect with
>Dialect 1. (Using IBX that is) and I have made sure
>the database dialect is 1. I believe the isql will default to the databases
>dialect. But do I understand correctly that
>in dialect one it is suppose to work with MONTH (table and column) and TYPE
>(column) names or do you mean
>I can connect via dialect one and THEN change to valid names and go on from
>there ??

Actually, not quite, now I come to think of it.
ALTER TABLE BLAH
SET MONTH = "MONTH" won't work in dialect 1.

But
ALTER TABLE BLAH
SET MONTH = MONTH_ will work.

The database will still be Dialect 1 of course.
There is a "route" for upgrading D1 to D3 (via a D2 client) but it is
fraught with problems. You are much better to fix up all your illegal
column names, extract the metadata, rebuild a brand-spanking-new D3
database and pump the data.

/heLen