Subject RE: [firebird-php] any one use sohlius web host?
Author Alan McDonald
Strange, I find my Win2003 Server (350MHz) better than my win2000 server
(1GHz), both are improved using isapi module over the cgi but neither are
anywhere near as good as my old 200MHz linux box.
The differences are stark especially after a period of no use and measuring
the time taken to deliver the first page. - With a site getting good traffic
(constant hits) performance is good on all but for low traffic sites the Win
environment is dreadful to first kick in.
Alan
-----Original Message-----
From: Milan Babuskov [mailto:milanb@...]
Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2004 7:02 PM
To: firebird-php@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [firebird-php] any one use sohlius web host?

Alan McDonald wrote:
> But linux is better for php than windows (all my testing). Windows seems
> drop even the isapi.dll version of php too frequently.

Windows are also ok, as long as you don't use Win2003, and you use PHP
as CGI (php.exe) and not as server module (.dll). Well, at least that's
my experience. I do run all my servers on Linux now, since it much
easier to administer remotely.

If you run some not so widely used server (keyfocus?), it's a high
chance you can only run it as CGI, since .dll files are server-specific
(bind to the server API).

> There's not muc to php/firebird uther than choosing an abstraction layer
if,
> in fact, you want one which sounds to me like you'd be beer off with
one.
> ezsql is small and comprehensive otheres here like ADOdb. please
yourself

Or write your own like I did :)

--
Milan Babuskov