Subject Re: [IBDI] About IBDI
Author Pavel Císaø
Hi,

On 28 Apr 2001, at 2:03, Mark O'Donohue wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>
> > I for one agree, despite my frequent asking "why not put it on sourceforge
> > for free"
>
> I agree with David, if its the firebird web site, it should be basically
> hosted within the firebird infrastructure, which is currently at
> sourceforge. It looks like this is going into a design, experement and
> build phase with a new web site, which I think when finished we can host from
> sourceforge with perhaps the current one there, but perhaps one click away
> from the main page.

Well, it could be at SF, but there are few problems with this:

1) Disk space quota. Increase could be negotiated with SF people
when necessary, so it's only a minor hassle, but it should be taken
to consideration.

2) Maintenance. It could be a major obstacle.

- maintainer(s) have to be registered at SF

- all communication/access is only remote via SSH / SCP, we
haven't direct control over hw/sw on site

- backup is provided by SF, but it's not 100% guaranteed that we'll
not lost any data (it's happen in the past to some projects at SF)

3) Current Firebird site have to be reworked/adjusted to one level
down.

And after all, it's not necessary to have firebirdsql.org/com at
SourceForge if that domain will not point to it. There would be
many links at that site that will point elsewhere anyway, so the link
to development site can point to firebird.sourceforge.net and
developers can use their old bookmarks or type URL they are used
to, to go directly to the site of their main interest.

Just minimax :)

Best regards
-- Pavel