Subject Re: [IBO] 'Native' vs. Tdataset Objects
Author Lester Caine
Tony Masefield wrote:

> As I am just getting started with IBO and do not have any progs to
> convert from the BDE to IBO, it would appear that the best way
> forward, in terms of performance and functionality, would be to use
> the 'Core' IB components along with the 'Native' data access
> components rather than use the TDataset components (From the 4.5
> help file TIB Databse and TIBO Database comments are made that they
> are for BDE compatability reasons or the like).

One of the major problems I had when I first changed from BDE to IBO was
simply trying to convert things. Yes it worked, and the applications
worked, but they were not nice.
I gave up on IBO for another 9 months, and TRIED to get BDE stable. No,
joy :(
So I tried IBO again - but started with a clean sheet. The result was
amazing, and while I still have a few old cobbled IBO-BDE programs, the
main ones only use 'Native' components.

> If one uses the 'Core' and 'Native' Access components with D5, are
> the normal dataware controls useable or must one use the IB 'Native'
> Data Aware components?
Just use the IBO items. In fact I deleted the TDataset tab ;)

> Are the 'Core' and 'Native' components compatable with other 3rd
> party data aware components and/or will the major 3rd party
> components be compatable with these IBO components at a later date
> (or vica-versa)?
NO and NO
So that is where you may need the TIBO component add-on. I run DBPlanner
which is a TDataset component, and it just runs in parallel with the
native stuff.
The 'exception' is FastReports which does work 'native' - at least the
2.5 version did, and version 3 seems to but I have not sussed the change
in the way it gets used.

> I raise these questions simply because:
> I am wondering what type of learning curve I will have to go through
> by using the 'Core' and 'Native' components vs the TDataset ones (I
> am sure that the advantages are there and I would rather start using
> the more 'functional' components and sticking by them from 'day 1'
> but are they as easy to use as TDataset?)
The Native IBO grid is far more powerful that TDataset ones. I'd been
using RXLib grids because the Borland one's where simply crude - which
probably added to my 'conversion' problems. If you ARE starting fresh
the just use IBO, and you will not get confused by the 'bodges' to make
TDataset work ;)
IBO facilities such as incremental search, and SQL management work well,
and you only get into trouble when you try and 'take control' yourself -
because you HAD to in BDE. IBO normally does not need it!

> Secondly, I hope to ascertain the 'receptiveness' of these
> components to other 3rd party components (e.g. data aware) which
> would not appear to be a problem with the TIBDataset strain.
Is there anything missing from the pallet that you think you need from
day one? If not just start clean IBO and come back if you need to add
something like DBPlanner later.

--
Lester Caine