Subject Re: Conversion from dBase to Firebird using IBO
Author Eric Handbury <ehandbury@hotmail.com>
--- In IBObjects@yahoogroups.com, "chris_michalec <Cmich22@a...>"
<Cmich22@a...> wrote:
> I have a conversion utility that is taking data from dbase tables
> into a firebird gdb. The table in question has about 300,000
records
> and over 100 fields. I am using IB_Scripts and posting every
couple
> thousand records. Initially it starts off fast, but after about
> 100,000 records or so, it slows to a crawl. This puts the
conversion
> utility at finishing the table in about 3 days (which is just too
> long). I have the scripts posting in their own transaction that I
> create each time and commit. I have also tried committing the
main
> physical transaction (which in my understanding from reading the
> documentation should actually be taken care of on it is own, but
hey
> I thought I'd try). I thought maybe it was the BDE trying to
scroll
> the something that huge, so I called FetchAll on the dataset to
just
> pull back everything. The machine this is running should have
more
> than enough resources to handle this. Any other thoughts out
there
> that maybe I haven't tried?

It sounds like you have to break the problem in half since you
really don't know if its the BDE or IBO/FB that's the culprit. You
could, instead of writing the data to a FB database, you could just
output it to a simple text-file. This would show you if it was the
BDE that was choking.
If its not the BDE, then maybe you could post your main code here so
the IBO experts can take a look.