Subject Re: [IBO] tib_replicate
Author Helen Borrie (TeamIBO)
At 11:34 AM 13-05-02 +0100, you wrote:
>Help !
>Has anyone done much work with the TIB_Repl components ?
>I have struggled for a few days and got the module to work. and set up the
>source database and 'local' database and it all works.
>But I want to use this in my application where there are ten or more 'local'
>databases.
>I don't understand how the sync operates.
>As changes are made to the central database they are logged into a queue and
>this trigers an event.
>
>Now as local database A acesses this queue does the data vanish? What
>happens when at a different instant, local database B accesses the queue ?

Are you replicating from database A (source) to database B (target)? If
that is the case, the queue is in database A, waiting to go to the
target. Database B won't access the queue on database A.

>Or must the sync action occur at all local databases at the same time ?

Don't understand the question. The ib_repl is one way,
source-to-target. Sure, the target database can be the target for several
source databases, but each source has its own queue. If that is your
situation, and the order in which each source updates the target is
important, you will need to implement some kind of signalling in the target
database to effect that.

>Obviously I can make a test. But here I have only one machine and I would
>like to know if It is worth my while taking a test moduile out to a client
>to try on his network.

You can test to some extent on your single machine using multiple localhost
connections, but you're a bit handicapped if that is all that stands
between development and deployment of a network-based replication
system. If your client doesn't mind your using his network as a test-bed,
then it is to be strongly recommended.

regards,
Helen Borrie (TeamIBO Support)

** Please don't email your support questions privately **
Ask on the list and everyone benefits
Don't forget the IB Objects online FAQ - link from any page at
www.ibobjects.com