Subject Re: [IBO] Re: Files - downloading problems.
Author Helen Borrie
At 12:16 AM 22-02-01 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi Nick,
>
>(seems we're chasing each other a bit across the web ;-))
>--- In IBObjects@y..., "Kaputnik" <delphi@k...> wrote:
> > many things are broken since yabadabadoo took over egroups.
> > The sponsors for groups, which had payd for the sponsors to
>disappear are
> > back again there, text-delivery doesn't work, and the files-section
>won't do
> > anymore, too.
>
>great relief - i already thought of being to stupid to reply (i sent a
>message *once* (honestly) and it appeared here three times in a
>row...)
>
> > If it comes to pure webspace, I could provide an FTP-server with
>high
> > bandwidth (100mb/s direct backbone-connection) and anonymous login
>to store
> > the communities files on them and only links on the groups page.
>
>that would be a great thing (my opinion)... is this a feasible way
>(Helen / Jason?) or are there at least any perspectives it'll get
>better around here? (currently i wish i had my old plain-text dos box
>back...)

AFAICT, we are not getting any adverts in the paid-up lists (except the Yahoo.com footer that comes with the territory).

If you have set up your email client for html, then you are likely to receive Yahoo's ads as html. Since html postings are regarded as bad netiquette on most lists (including this one) you really only have yourself to thank if you continue to get html.

You can avoid seeing many copies of the footer if you follow another good netiquette practice, of removing the extraneous stuff from the bottom when you post a reply.

We don't moderate the lists so we can't actually stop people who habitually post in html. IMO, those who use HTML sigs should be shot at dawn. About all we have is peer pressure. Instead of blaming the system, fix your own house and rass anyone who shows lack of consideration for others' bandwidth loads.

fwiw
Helen

All for Open and Open for All