Subject RE: [IBO] Import dbf data
Author Bram
Helen, I never used Interbase 5. Dbf is the dbaseIII file format also used
in Foxpro. I have IBO alike components for fast access to the dbf file. I
was hoping to combine this with an IBO component to do a fast transfer.

Bram

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Helen Borrie [mailto:helebor@...]
Verzonden: zaterdag 2 december 2000 11:59
Aan: IBObjects@egroups.com
Onderwerp: Re: [IBO] Import dbf data

At 11:35 AM 02-12-00 +0100, you wrote:
>Which IBO component would the best/fast to import data from a dbf file
>(450.000 records) to Interbase. This table has all the zipcode's in Holland
>and I want to use it for test/demonstration purpose to see how fast
>Interbase/IBO can be and especially to learn how to optimize querie's.
>So what would be the best/fast way to import the data. I tried an
>IBOTable(sorry...) with a loop. But that is very slow.
In the absence of knowledge of a specific dbf component, I suggest creating
a table in a 5.x database of the same structure as the dbf table and using
either the Delphi datapump utility or a delphi database desktop interactive
query to pass the data straight from the dbf table to the IB 5.x table
(fastest).

If you need to convert the database to IB 6, just gbak the 5.x database
with v.5 gbak and gbak -restore it using the command line version of v. 6
gbak.

If you already have your IB 6 database, simply recreate the table there and
use the ib_wisql datapump to transfer the data from the 5.x database.

Helen

All for Open and Open for All