Subject RE: [firebird-support] Re: GBAK Backup Size
Author Andrew Stuart
We backup with Gbak on server1

This gets copied across via xcopy to a 2nd server
And restored using gbak

We are looking into proper replication techniques at present, but this is a project that's kinda of been dumped on me etc..

As per last msg, I did look at the restored size on the 2nd server and it's the same as the 1st server (~1.5GB)

-----Original Message-----
From: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com [mailto:firebird-support@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of André Knappstein, Controlling
Sent: 17 July 2008 09:21
To: Andrew Stuart
Subject: [firebird-support] Re: GBAK Backup Size

Hello Andrew,

> we'd noticed the size increasing over time (as we backup the FBU to a secondary server)
> but never noticed the FDB staying the same size

> its the growth tahts got me a bit stumped

I would also suggest you first look for secondary files.

And how do you actually "back up to a second server"? Copying, using a
3rd party backup suite (which probably only appends files...) or
indeed somehow using gbak.exe?

Maybe I am not up2date with FB technology but I thought that backing
up with gbak would always need to be done on the same server, first.

And maybe it is also a good idea to check the quality of your
"secondary server" along with some hardware settings.

There always is a good chance to get different "on disk" file sizes if
you have different block sizes on the harddisks. I can not think of
any realistic setting that would cause such a BIIIIIIG difference,
though, but you never know.

Together with probably underlying hardware or OS defects this also
needs to examined.

Did you _try_ to do a backup on the same server and then to transfer
it to any other machine, probably a client, and examine the file size?

ciao,
André

------------------------------------

Head and Registered Office:
Call Assist Ltd,
Axis Court, North Station Road,
Colchester, Essex.
CO1 1UX
Telephone +44 (0)1206 771771
Fax +44 (0)1206 364268

Registered in England and Wales.
Registered Company Number 3668383

Please Note : This electronic message contains information from Call Assist Ltd which may be privileged or confidential.
The information is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient please delete this email. If you have received this electronic
message in error, please notify us by telephone or email immediately.