Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Firebird, ODBC, web access and various beginner questions
Author Thomas Løcke
Adam wrote:
> Perhaps I misunderstood something, but surely stopping your
> application from 'crapping out' in the presence of multiple cores is
> as simple as setting the CPU Affinity Mask when your application starts?

Hey Adam,

Been there, done that. :o)

I might've gone a bit over the top with the whole "craps out" thing.
When running on a dual core system, no matter the CPU Affinity setting,
the application faults a lot more than usual. In reality this
application is a collection of *a lot* of different systems, ranging
from Dialogic cards over SMS sofware to Faxserver software, all
connected in some intrigate way by the "main" application. Some parts of
this rather huge "mess" performs less than optimal when living in a
multicore enviroment.

The people who build the software can't make it work, and I can't make
it work. For now I'll settle on the fact that it probably can't be made
to work.

> Of course you may still want to investigate using a multi-core Linux
> db server.
>
> Adam
I'm fairly certain it's the best way to go. :o)

Regards,
Thomas