Subject Re: [firebird-support] GBAK slow over TCP/IP
Author Alexandre Benson Smith
btrumba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have problem with GBAK when using connection string as
> 'localhost/3050:C:\myDb.fdb' it takes much longer to make backup, but
> when you look in file manager while backup file is in creation, you
> will see that it grows fast until 90%, then it takes few minutes to
> finish last 10%.
> Database is 100Mb size. I takes 3-4 minutes for backup.
> When you connect directly ('C:\myDb.fdb'), backup is almost instant
> (1-2second).
> GBAK is executed on same machine where server is (Windows 2003). I
> must use 'localhost/3050' coz I have 4 Firebird services
> (3051,3052,3053, 3054) on that machine.
> I was testing database with gfix (sweep and validate), and I turned
> off garbage collection (-g), but nothing changed.
>
> I'm aware that backup over TCP/IP will take longer, but it takes too
> long compared to 'direct' backup. Now I was testing on my XP machine
> and it is much faster then on Windows Server 2003.
>
> Do you have any knowledge on how to speed up gbak over TCP, or this
> issue may be connected to the Windows Server 2003?
> BTW, Windows Server 2003 is not domain controller.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Branimir

I had once experienced a very slow back-up trough TCP connection instead
of direct connection, as you I was expecting it to be a bit slow, but
not *that* slow, Nigel Weeks suggested me to tweak on windows networking
configuration to disable the auto-negotiation protocol and try to set
the speed/duplex by hand, when I toned off Full-Duplex the back-up speed
increase dramatically, for some reason the two network cards and/or my
switch are not playing nice in full duplex mode.

give it a try.

see you !

--
Alexandre Benson Smith