Subject Re: [firebird-support] 1.5.3 on linux amd64
Author Helen Borrie
At 12:14 PM 10/02/2007, you wrote:
>On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 01:51 +0100, Michael Weissenbacher wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am the one who reported the bug against the gentoo ebuild.
> >
> > AFAIK the following still holds true:
>
>Having read that issue, I still think we are clearly talking about known
>issues with Firebird builds. That would be official builds. Not any
>downstream builds coming from upstream sources. Again, per user builds
>as we do not ship binaries. Just re-distribute upstream sources plus any
>Gentoo specific or general patches.

There lies the problem, as I understand it. The missing piece here
(as far as I can tell from what you have told us) is that nobody has
done an AMD64 port of Fb 1.5.x that has been submitted to Firebird
QA. The same kind of problems occur with downstreamers in other OS
distributions, Linux and otherwise.

This thread isn't really appropriate in the support list, since
issues with porting and builds belong in firebird-devel. You have
only an incidental chance that the right people will see it if you
insist on aligning with the Gentoo view that build issues are user
issues and continue to treat it as a user support problem.

Take it to firebird-devel. Pulling old postings on the issue from
the support list archive isn't going to assist. In Firebird terms,
this is not a user support issue because it's not an area where other
users can help you at the level you want. You or someone else has to
be interested enough to do the porting and provide the necessary
pieces to enable QA testing.

>I am not seeing issues were people that have successfully compiled
>Firebird from source on amd64 are reporting problems. Having run it for
>some time, compiled from source both on x86, and amd64. I have not had
>any problems myself.
>
>If there are any test cases that are know to produce an error, failure,
>data corruption or etc. Please let me know, I will happily run them as
>time permits.

Post details in firebird-devel and/or firebird-test and get our QA
forces involved. Post anything you know to firebird-devel, even if
you have previously posted it here. The firebird-support archive is
not the place the Fb developers look when reviewing the history of a
platform port/build to consider issues that come up.

I'm telling you this as the list moderator. It's important that the
shared history of any issue be archived in the place where people are
going to look for it. That's why we're pretty strict about insisting
that topics be moved to the right forum.

^ heLen