Subject Re: [firebird-support] [partially solved] How to start Firebird server, and how to connect (on Linux)?
Author Milan Babuskov
that.SelectedDude wrote:
> BTW, I was just installing Firebird 2.0 RC3 Super Server NPTL. And
> that's what setup outputs:
>
>> Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/firebird ...
>> /etc/rc0.d/K20firebird -> ../init.d/firebird
>> /etc/rc1.d/K20firebird -> ../init.d/firebird
>> /etc/rc6.d/K20firebird -> ../init.d/firebird
>> /etc/rc2.d/S14firebird -> ../init.d/firebird
>> /etc/rc3.d/S14firebird -> ../init.d/firebird
>> /etc/rc5.d/S14firebird -> ../init.d/firebird
>>Starting Firebird server: server has been successfully started
>
> These are those missing files in question, those missing links!

No.

Those are init.d scripts that start and stop Firebird Super Server at
various runlevels. They have got nothing to do with Classic as it
doesn't use it (it is started via inetd).

Please don't confuse INIT and INETD, for those are two completely
different things.

> While I'm a Linux (and Firebird) newbie, I strongly believe that those
> files should have been installed by the 1.5.3 setup, too (both by the
> native installer from the .tar.gz package and by Ubuntu's .deb
> packages).

Not with Classic.

> I'm really wondering how anyone was able to install 1.5.3 under Linux...
> (and I'm adding another three dots...)

You were missing xinetd. It's so obvious to any experienced Linux user,
that we didn't even think about it.

If you take clean Ubuntu box, install and start xinetd, and then install
Firebird, everything will work just fine.

Only thing I'd add to .deb installation package is to warn user that
xinetd isn't installed/started (or maybe it does warn and you didn't
notice?)

--
Milan Babuskov
http://swoes.blogspot.com/