Subject Re: [firebird-support] [partially solved] How to start Firebird server, and how to connect (on Linux)?
Author Helen Borrie
At 11:48 PM 3/08/2006, you wrote:

>While I'm a Linux (and Firebird) newbie, I strongly believe that those
>files should have been installed by the 1.5.3 setup, too (both by the
>native installer from the .tar.gz package and by Ubuntu's .deb
>packages).
>I'm really wondering how anyone was able to install 1.5.3 under Linux...
>(and I'm adding another three dots...)

FYI, the Debian build is out of our control.

But, for the standard Linux packaging (if there ever was such a
thing) there are two alternatives that *both* do the right thing,
viz. the RPM packages do all the right things automatically (for
Linuxen that support RPM), while the tarball packages put everything
in the right places for the *supplied* scripts to install when a
human being runs them after decompressing and untarring the tarballs.

When you go into the Debian/Ubuntu world, all bets are off, as Debian
does its own thing with packaging and filesystem layout. One day we
might actually get someone coming forward who wants to take an
ongoing responsibility for .deb builds...

If you are the newbie you claim, you ought to familiarise yourself
with *at least* the release notes....

./heLen