Subject Re: [firebird-support] 1.5.x setup bug
Author that.SelectedDude
Milan,

> You were missing xinetd. It's so obvious to any experienced Linux
user,
> that we didn't even think about it.
>
> If you take clean Ubuntu box, install and start xinetd, and then
> install
> Firebird, everything will work just fine.

So, the test case is:

Set up Ubuntu 6.06. Install xinet. Reboot. Install Firebird 1.5.3
Classic Server by using the .tar.gz package from the firebirdsql.org
homepage. - Test:

> sudo /opt/firebird/bin/isql
> connect localhost:/opt/firebird/examples/employee.fdb

That will fail with the error message, "Connection refused".
Else it will not fail...

My tests say, it will fail, at any rate.
(In contrast, the 2.0 setup will be OK.)

Thanks and regards
Robert

P.S.: Alternatively, set up any other Linux distribution. Continue with
installing xinet. Etc...

P.P.S.:
> You were missing xinetd. It's so obvious to any experienced Linux
user,
> that we didn't even think about it.

I'm aware you're in a very prominent role - but that really sounds bold
and wrong - as:
1) the installer should not disregard major system dependencies the
program is depending on, and
2) especially, installing xinetd won't help at all.

Thanks again, and I'm feeling sorry for your need and resistance for
clarification.

I'm sorry.