Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: FB 1.5 backup "interesting" error
Author Helen Borrie
At 08:07 AM 1/07/2004 +0000, you wrote:

> > > The Windows gbak/server version string:
> > > gbak: gbak version Firebird-W32-V1.0
> > > ... version "WI-T1.5.0.3744 Firebird 1.5 Release Candidate 4"
> >
> > Those do not match.
>
>Ok, that is not match, but some of these servers must be handle the
>database backup ! Database is handled by both of servers, and no
>validation error in both trying.

"Release Candidate" means "beta version". There were 8 Release Candidates
for Fb 1.5, before the release finally came out. You are looking at nearly
a year of bugfixes and incomplete features using RC 4. PLAY with release
candidates, but don't deploy them for serious work.

> > First, update Firebird to Final/Relase. Don't use Release Candidates.
> > Second, update you gbak (included in release version). Recent is: gbak
> > version WI-V1.5.0.4306 Firebird 1.5
> >
> > Always try using the same versions of db server and gbak.
> >
> > > The Linux gbak/server version string:
> > > gbak: gbak version LI-V1.5.0.4290 Firebird 1.5
> > > ... version "LI-V1.5.0.4290 Firebird 1.5"
> >
> > Those match.
>
>So - I download W32 server (the newest):
>http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/firebird/Firebird-1.5.0.4306-Win32.exe
>
>but Linux superserver is have only this version:
>
>http://belnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/firebird/FirebirdSS-1.5.0.4290-0.i686.tar.gz
>It is FirebirdSS-1.5.0.4290-0. I cannot found newer version of this
>server in IBPhoenix.
>
>Why ?

4290 Linux builds and 4306 Win32 builds are the same. The Windows releases
had to be rebuilt because of a mistake in the installer script.

> > > I need to backup, because I made many changes in DB, and I want to
> > organize some table (because I delete many records from them).
> >
> > You should do backups on a regular schedule, you know...
>
>Ok, but I want to do it NOW.

Get yourself lined up with the release versions of *everything* - DON'T
FORGET the client libraries.

/heLen