Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: TCP/IP Necessary?
Author Helen Borrie
At 03:02 PM 31/03/2004 +0000, you wrote:

>But please confirm one thing for me. The default value for
>CreateInternalWindow (from firebird.conf) is "1", meaning use "local
>connect".

No, it means "local connect is available".

>Therefore, should I set this value to "0" so that neither
>one of my local clients uses "local connect", that is, they will then
>both use "local loopback"?

The connection strings are different. So, if you disable local connect,
they won't have that option.

>And I assume it's the client side looking
>at this value to determine which form of IPC to use. Is that correct?

The "client side" is the client library, which uses the applicable
protocol. A path string with no server element is local connect (IPServer
IPC) only. Add a server element and you have a different protocol - which
on Windows may be one of three:

TCP/IP local loopback: tcp/ip string, localhost server
TCP/IP remote: tcp/ip string, remote server (accessing the local server via
the network is also possible - you have to do this for MTS)
Windows Named Pipes - different connection string, means a different
protocol to the client lib's network layer.

/hb