Subject Re: Domains as data type in PSQL
Author Alexander V.Nevsky
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Tonies"
<m.tonies@u...> wrote:
> PARAM1 EMPLOYEE.EMPLOYEEDID%TYPE
>
> As a param datatype - this also helps a lot. And yes, these
procedures
> are compiled as well. But when the EMPLOYEE.EMPLOYEEID
> column is changed, the procedure is flagged "invalid" and
automatically
> re-compiled on the first call

Martijn, it is not so simply in real world - procedures often call
each other, depth and structure of nested calls can be rather
large and complicated. Remember now what a headach we have changing
type of parameters in low-level procedure, especially if this
parameters pass through significant part of the calls tree. To teach
server make this automatically is'nt simple task. Remember that
procedures are often called by triggers which should become invalid
too. And annoying "object in use"...

> or you
> can have a decent developer-UI that shows you the invalid procedures
> and let's you recompile/change them.

This is more realistic.

Perhaps discussed feature is really useful, (not sure, I don't use
domains at all) but IMHO we have more interesting fields for
developer's activity :)

Best regards, Alexander.