Subject Re: [ib-support] Changing metadata in a production database
Author Tiago Costa
Jason,

I tried that and it worked ok. Thanks.

But I wondered what would happen if I start a transaction in a
connection, do some updates/inserts, then in another connection, make
the metadata changes and in the first connection (in the same
transaction) use the new fields that connection 2 has created, and the
rollback...
What I found out: (test-case)

CREATE TABLE table1 (id integer, field1 varchar(1));
insert into table1 (id,field1) values (1,'')

Two different connections to the same database (1) and (2)

(1st connection) Start transaction

(1) SELECT * FROM table1
id | field1
-------------
1 | ""

(1) UPDATE table1 SET field1='T' where id=1

(2nd connection) ALTER TABLE table1 add field2 VARCHAR(10)

(1) UPDATE table1 SET field2="test" where id=1

(1) SELECT * FROM table1
id | field1 | field2 |
------------------------
1 | "T" | "test" |

(1) ROLLBACK

(1) SELECT * FROM table1

id | field1 | field2 |

the "field1" should also be blank...

I know that's **VERY** unprobable to happen, but...

thanks again,

Tiago