Subject Re: [ib-support] Firebird & OOo
Author William L. Thomson Jr.
Art,
Wrong list.

On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 23:07, Art Fore wrote:
> System is Firebird 1.02, OOo 643C, on SuSE 8.0. I can connect using isql
> to the examples/employee.gdb with no problem.
>
> "Launch Interclient setup on the same machine where Interbase is
> installed and install Interserver. If this machine is a server and you
> install Interclient on the server as well, you can perform diagnostic
> tasks directly on the server."
>
> Where is this interclient setup? I found no such program in the
> interclient directory. Interclient was installed per the readme file
> from the interclient download. Is this another download? If so, from
> where?

Firebird + Java != InterClient

Firebird + Java == JayBird

InterBase + Java == InterClient

Got it.

> "Launch OpenOffice.org. Go to Tools-DataSources and create a new JDBC
> datasource. The necessary settings for Interbase via JDBC are:
> Driver = interbase.interclient.Driver"
>
> No such field in the DataSources dialog boax for JDBC datasources. There
> is a JDBC Driver Class where I tried
> interbase.interclient.Driver and Driver = interbase.interclient.Driver
> with no success. Any suggestion as to where I went wrong here?

Use the JayBird driver class here not InterClient.

> If anyone has gotten OOo to work with Firebird, any help would be
> appreciated.

I will try to help you.

> BTW, Firebird was the easiest and fastest of any of the databases I have
> tried so far. Those were Orace 8i, Mysql, and Postgresql, but the most
> difficult to interface to OOo.

Unfortunately what's making things difficult is you. :(

Not meant in a rude manner, just calling it like it is.

However I am glad you have found Firebird to be superior to other RDMS.
That should put a smile or two on the Firebird Dev team.

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.