Subject Res: Re: [ib-support] Re: MySQL vs Firebird - the slow decay
Author Paulo Vaz
Dears "Gurus",

I newbie here. I use Firebird just a few months. So, my oppinion come
from a "outsider", because I don't
have large experience with Firebird development. Meanwhile I hope to help
you, in order to give a begginer's view.
I never heard about Firebird, until a friend talk to me. When I
discover how wonderful Firebird is, without blind, I move my projects to him

The problem with Firebird is the same of Interbase: Marketing issues.
While this, MySQL has all support of midia, magazines, Linux developers and
so...
Don't matter how better Firebird is in relation to MySQL or others
solutions, if the people don't know about this, Firebird will stay in a
second place. I think that technical discussions, charts, and love to
Firebird, don't make any difference (here obviously), if Firebird can't have
this kind of support.
Artur Anjos and Martinjn Tonies are right: We need comittment, lots of
users groups, communitys around the world (like CFLP that we found at www
comunidade-firebird.org), partnerships with other fonts, like Linux
developers and distribuctors.
The Firebird develop team is very very competant, but they need
support of all, to change this scenario. Maybe creating another team to take
care of this kind of task: marketing ONLY. Somebody that take this job
seriously, tireless, and with a good estrategy.
With my limited experience with CFLP, I can feel how important
marketing is to make some project "acceptable", in just 15 days we join 615
members! What I did? Marketing. How? In discussion lists, recommending
Firebird, press releases, links with another fonts, a radio interview...just
marketing.
Firebird goes well, but we need to do something about this.
Stand by me.

Paulo Vaz
Gravataí - Brazil
General Coordenator of CFLP - "Firebird Spoken Portuguese Community"