Subject Re: [ib-support] What do I need to do to keep my DB good and running smoothly
Author Svein Erling Tysvaer
Hi Jason!

At 07:47 02.09.2002 +0200, you wrote:
>I am new to Firebird and I just wanted to know, what do I have to do to keep
>my database running fast and smoothly.

This isn't all too difficult, unless you are dealing with huge tables and
demanding users who expect their queries to work instantly without any
tuning. Just make sure that no transactions are running for too long (watch
the gap between the oldest active transaction and the next transaction) and
examine the plan of your queries before you actually execute them. I'm not
certain if it is still an issue, but formerly it was necessary to make sure
IB just ran on one processor if run on a Windows machine with several
processors (there was some utility called IB_Affinity available to help
you). Then of course, you should make sure that you have defined "sensible"
indexes, where "sensible" is a word open for discussions. And if you come
from the world of desktop databases, forget the word "table" and start
thinking datasets and client/server when writing programs.

Welcome to us all!
Set