Subject Re: [ib-support] --* Please Help*--- Database corruption and cannot backup & restore
Author Helen Borrie
At 08:17 AM 07-08-01 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi:
>
> > It shouldn't be, unless he connected with \\servername\drive:path\db.gdb.
>
> So how is it that connections are allowed which screw up IB??

Ask Microsoft. Exactly how this bad string mechanism works someone else can explain (I think you will find the detailed description somewhere in this list's archives, or in the Mers archives). Windows recognises these variants of path syntax as different and somehow tells the server that connections are being made to *different* databases. The server is therefore unaware that these users are in fact connected to the *same* database so transaction isolation gets stuffed up. It's logged for TCP/IP so it's interesting (but not surprising) to see it showing up in NetBEUI as well.

See http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=213462&group_id=9028&atid=109028

IB Objects actually includes code to reject the incorrect path string (some sub-release versions ago) so this user must have been using a version of Marathon that was compiled before that.

-- helen

All for Open and Open for All