Subject RE: [ib-support] --* Please Help*--- Database corruption and cannot backup & restore
Author C Fraser
If IB Objects can fix it... why doesn't GDS32.dll refuse to use the bad
string??

It seems (from my untrained, unknowing eye) that this is an extremely
simple problem, which is extremely easy to introduce, which also has
extremely nasty outcomes...

This must surly be considered a MAJOR bug which should receive very high
priority... If any old user can corrupt a client server database just by
using the wrong correction string on a client... Isn't that a MAJOR
problem???

Regards
Colin

-----Original Message-----
From: Helen Borrie [mailto:helebor@...]
Sent: Wednesday, 8 August 2001 12:38 a.m.
To: ib-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [ib-support] --* Please Help*--- Database corruption and
cannot backup & restore

At 08:17 AM 07-08-01 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi:
>
> > It shouldn't be, unless he connected with
> > \\servername\drive:path\db.gdb.
>
> So how is it that connections are allowed which screw up IB??

Ask Microsoft. Exactly how this bad string mechanism works someone else
can explain (I think you will find the detailed description somewhere in
this list's archives, or in the Mers archives). Windows recognises
these variants of path syntax as different and somehow tells the server
that connections are being made to *different* databases. The server is
therefore unaware that these users are in fact connected to the *same*
database so transaction isolation gets stuffed up. It's logged for
TCP/IP so it's interesting (but not surprising) to see it showing up in
NetBEUI as well.

See
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=213462&group_id
=9028&atid=109028

IB Objects actually includes code to reject the incorrect path string
(some sub-release versions ago) so this user must have been using a
version of Marathon that was compiled before that.

-- helen

All for Open and Open for All
InterBase Developer Initiative . http://www.interbase2000.org