Subject Re: [ib-support] Re: temp table
Author Ann W. Harrison
At 03:34 PM 3/7/2001 +0000, dv@... wrote:
>This was a question out of curiosity. I'm just trying to figure out
>what Interbase lacks.

You could check the archives for the IB-Architecture or IB-Priorities
lists. They're full of things that InterBase lacks.

>We are opening, on average, about 10 cursors per stored
>procedure, fetching the results into variables, inserting the
>variables into a temp table and selecting from the temp before it
>disappears. I'm not sure what we would have done without the temp
>tables (I'm not a DBA so there are probably other ways).

What you would do in InterBase is create a permanent table
that can hold your intermediate results. For each run of
the procedure, get a value from a generator (guaranteed to
be unique) and mark the entries in the table with that id.
At the end, delete all the temp entries. With luck, the
data will never go to disk.

Regards,

Ann
www.ibphoenix.com