Subject Re: [Firebird-Java] Jaybird port to J2ME?
Author Blas Rodriguez Somoza
Hello William

At 01/02/2003 16:15 -0800, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
>Blas,
>
>> I don't know exactly which parts of J2SDK are not in J2ME. Can you
>> explain me?
>
>There is a ton of stuff in J2SDK that is not in J2ME. For example J2ME
>has little to no JDBC support. There is a separate mini JDBC library
>that is available, but does not come with J2ME.
>
>http://java.sun.com/products/jdbc/download.html#cdcfp

I search in the javasoft and insignia information about and this is what I found, please correct me if there are something wrong.

In the page of information about CDC (http://java.sun.com/products/cdc/) , sun says that:

"CVM is a full-featured virtual machine designed for devices needing the functionality of the Java 2 virtual machine feature set, but with a smaller footprint."

Jeode is a little bit different and it implements Personal Java. According to sun PersonalJava technology, is an extended version of the J2ME/Connected Device Configuration (CDC) platform.

In the specification of personal java all the JDK most times libraries are referred to JDK 1.1.8 and J2ME CDC is a Java 2 VM,so we have a JVM 2 with 1.1 libraries. In the PJAE definition is the following paragraph about jdbc

"java.sql is an optional package. When a PJAE implementation provides the java.sql package it must support the full JDK 1.1.8 API of the java.sql and java.math packages. "

But if the jdbc used is the "JDBC API for CDC / FP Optional Package" which William mentions then the definition is

The JDBC API for CDC / FP Optional Package defines a subset of the JDBC 3.0 API that can be used in conjunction with the Java 2 Micro Edition (J2ME) Connected Device Configuration / Foundation Profile (CDC / FP).

CONCLUSION

Apparently if we use the optional cdc jdbc package and Personal Java 1.2, we have a java 2 jvm with common libraries based on 1.1.8 and a optional jdbc 1.0 library, but also can be used jdbc 3.0 restricted if the optional package is installed.

I think it will difficult to use jdbc 1.0, so the target version can be jdk 1.1.8 with jdbc 3.0 restricted.

Regards
Blas Rodriguez Somoza