Subject Re: [Firebird-Java] Re: Can't connect to DB
Author William L. Thomson Jr.
On Sun, 2002-07-14 at 23:59, rrokytskyy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please check that you have connector.jar, jaas.jar,
> jta-spec_1_0_1.jar, concurrent.jar, and probably jmxri.jar in your
> Tomcat classpath.

No matter what I use for a global classpath, Tomcat ignores it. Although
from my experience in the gui so far, all I need is the connector.jar,
not the rest.

> These classes might be a part of your Java GUI, but
> not Tomcat. Also, it might be a good idea to put all these classes
> into $TOMCAT_HOME/lib directory, so they are loaded by the main
> classloader.

Because of Tomcat ignoring my global classpath, I always place symbolic
links to any .jar I use in Tomcat that are not site specific. So I do
have a symbolic link for firebirdswl.jar and the connector.jar.

For the record by global classpath, I mean one that can be shown by
typing $CLASSPATH into the shell and hitting enter.

I have tried the other .jars but no difference. I have to have the
connector.jar or I can't through exceptions due to the javax.resources.*
not being there. But the rest do not seem to make a difference.

So I really appreciate your suggestions but I have tried them and no go.
That's why I said it was really strange. I can try adding them to the
global classpath again and then also he symbolic links as well just to
confirm once again if that makes a difference or not.

Just in case you do not like the sound of symbolic links, I have never
had any problems using them for .jar, and I use allot of .jars that live
outside of Tomcat. So this is not the problem. But I have no clue what
is? It is very strange.

Although there is one more difference between my GUI and the servlet.
The servlet is a connection pool. It uses the same base class that the
gui uses, but it creates several connections. 15 total initially, and I
get logs saying that all fifteen failed. So I am not sure if the speed
of trying to connect several times is screwing things up.

It is the strangest thing I have seen since I do not know how to fix,
and with Java the problems are usually pretty obvious.

I am open to any other suggestions or comments.

Thanks

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.