Subject Re: [Firebird-general] Re: Building a firebird console
Author Aage Johansen
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 18:33:25 +0000 (UTC), Chad Z. Hower wrote:

> Im replying to a bunch of these at once since I originally started this
> thread.
> 1) The tool should NOT be a catch all. JUST able to create DBs, users,
> exec SQL, and perform select SQL.
> 2) The tool will not be something users will stick with. They will move
> to command line or buy a 3P tool later.
> 3) But the tool WILL let them "play" a little and at least create a DB to
> the use from C#, Delphi or other.
> I would envision something very similar to the IBConsole that ships with
> IB. Its literally a GUI version of ISQL with a few extras.
> This will not hurt 3Ps in anyway, and will actually help them by giving
> new users a jump start on FB and expanding the market.

I believe some earlier discussions on a tool stopped (maybe) because
one/some/many did not want it to be dependent on some 3rd party
non-OpenSource connection components.
For a StopGap, maybe one could bundle a few commercial tools using free
personal/limited versions or time limited trial versions. One could
include one or more of these in an install package, or (optional)
download. The user could later move on to the full commercial version (or
move to a free tool).
Why not include IBOconsole. It's free, those coming from IB and IBconsole
might feel 'at home', and it really isn't a competitor to the commercial Fb
tools. Just state that what is provided isn't really a part of Fb.

--
Aage J.