Subject Re: New to Firebird
Author paultugwell
--- In IBDI@y..., "Jason Wharton" <jwharton@i...> wrote:
> > Also, reading the blurb that comes with FB, it mentions that the
BDE
> > will not necessarily support it. Has anyone any experience with
this?
> > It is my intention to swap the whole thing to IBO but time may
> > require me to deploy the system using the BDE in the first
instance.

> Give IBO a go. It may take far less time than you think.
>
> There is a pretty detailed guide on-line that walks you through
doing it.

> If you are not using low-level BDE API calls it should be a slam
dunk.

> Lots of comrades in our support forum to help if you hit any snags.
>
> Regards,
> Jason Wharton
> CPS - Mesa AZ
> http://www.ibobjects.com

I obtained the trial version of IBO some time ago (version 4.2Fb) and
over the last few days have done test conversions of the 2 main
programs in my existing application. Apart from having to write some
code to tell the system where to find the main database (instead of
using the BDE Alias) and some code to replace some batch updates I
have had to do very little. However, I have had one problem regarding
IBOQuery and TDBLookupComboBox, the details of which have been
reported on the IBObjects support list. Although I have myself found
a (not very satisfactory) workround for this problem, I have not yet
received an answer to the question I posed. Also, as this application
is 'live' I have to be very sure that it works before releasing it to
my existing customers, hence the caution and the part of this
question relating to ODBC drivers.

Thanks for your help which is appreciated.