Subject Re: [IBO] bookmark
Author Wolfgang Rohdewald
On Donnerstag, 17. Mai 2007, Helen Borrie wrote:
> But "Select All" makes it so that the operation you describe would be
> performed on the client.  That is very desktop database (slow, noisy)
> and not client/server-like at all.

The question really is what will be done with the bookmarked records.

In my application, "Select All" selects up to about 200 records.
For each of them the client has to do lots of OLE calls to the general
ledger, generate reports (having up to 150 pages), generate mails with
up to 5 attachments each, fax reports, export data to dbf, produce PDF
files and put them on a web server - you name it. For some records it
does all of this.

This might easily take several seconds of client side processing outside
of the database - per record! And since all this is normally done by
just one user, it would not help to do more of that on the server. The
other users mostly enter the data into the database, much of it manually,
and they want a fast server.

Here it is very helpful for the user if he can specify exactly which
records he wants to process.

--
Wolfgang