Subject RE: [IBO] Lookup sizing issue
Author Daniel Jimenez
Hi Helen,

Thank you for your reply. However, it is now obvious to me that I did not
provide sufficient information on my original post.

I have a Table (T1 detail table) containing a FK, this FK points to records
on table (T2 master table).

T1 definition
(PK) MACRO_ID
(FK) MACRO_MT_TYPE
MACRO_DESCRIPTION

T2 definition
(PK) MT_TYPE
MT_DESCRIPTION

I have a Grid which displays the record(s) of T1, but rather than displaying
the FK (MACRO_MT_TYPE ), on the grid, I would like to display the content of
the description field (MT_DESCRIPTION ) from T2 for the FK. So far this is
fine, i.e. it all works.

Since the user may like to change the relationship between T1 and T2, I
decided to use a LookupCombo, LookupList. The LookupCombo will display the
current description (MT_DESCRIPTION) of the selected record, and the
LookupList contains the description of all the records in T2. So far it
works fine.

Please note that this LookupCombo, LookupList is displayed with in the Grid
as a field.

Now, the fist time the user puts a record of the grid in edit mode (i.e.
clicks the dropdown of the lookupCombo), the sizing of the dropdown
LookupList is incorrect. However, form this point on, the incorrect sizing
never happens again.

I hope that I have explained what I am trying to achieve correctly and
clearly. I have written two simple demos if which I am happy to upload if
necessary.

Thank you in advance

daniel

At 03:31 PM 3/05/2007, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>In the past suing the IBO4.6 version we had some issues with the use of a
>LookupCombo and LookupList when placed within a Grid, for the purpose of
>using it as a Master-Detail relation ship.

That's the wrong interface for master-detail.

>The issue was that the first time the dropdown was access by the user, the
>autosize would not work correctly, but subsequent uses of the dropdown
after
>this initial one would be perfect. By the way we never solved this.
>
>Now, as I am currently looking into the IBO4_7_Build16_Eval using BCB5, I
>have been asked to see if this issue (as describe above ) has been
resolved.
>Unfortunately after writing a very quick demo, I find that the problem
>persist.
>
>Could someone in the group please prove me wrong.

I don't think it's a question of proving you wrong but of your
understanding that a lookup relationship is not a master-detail
relationship and of your using the controls for the purposes they
were designed for.

-- a master detail relationship consists of one master record and 0
to n dependent records that belong to that master exclusively
(usually by way of a foreign key relationship linking the FK in the
detail record to the PK in the master)

-- a lookup relationship is the logical reverse of
master-detail. The "head" record of this relationship (in IBO it is
called the "Keysource record" contains a key that points to the PK of
a table containing unique lookup records. At any given time, any
number of head/keysource records can have an identical key value in
this field. We link the lookup record to the head record via a
Keylinks relationship. Any number of records in different tables
could point to the same underlying lookup table. It's this lack of
exclusivity, more than anything, that differentiates a master-detail
relationship from a lookup relationship.

Helen

Messages
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IBObjects/message/41379;_ylc=X3oDMTM1cnVscDI1
BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzQwMjkzMARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDcxODMEbXNnSWQDNDEzODIE
c2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMTc4MjQ3OTc0BHRwY0lkAzQxMzc5> in this topic
(0)
zU5NzE0BGdycElkAzQwMjkzMARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDcxODMEbXNnSWQDNDEzODIEc2VjA2Z0c
gRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMTc4MjQ3OTc0?act=reply&messageNum=41382> Reply (via
web post) | Start
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IBObjects/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJkdHJuanBmBF9TAzk3M
zU5NzE0BGdycElkAzQwMjkzMARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDcxODMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbnRwYwRzd
GltZQMxMTc4MjQ3OTc0> a new topic
Messages
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IBObjects/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJkOXRqMHZmBF9TA
zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzQwMjkzMARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDcxODMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbXNnc
wRzdGltZQMxMTc4MjQ3OTc0> | Files
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IBObjects/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNWdsZnVjBF9TAzk3
MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzQwMjkzMARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDcxODMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZmlsZXME
c3RpbWUDMTE3ODI0Nzk3NA--> | Photos
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IBObjects/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJkcmtxY3NoBF9TAzk
3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzQwMjkzMARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDcxODMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcGhvdAR
zdGltZQMxMTc4MjQ3OTc0> | Members
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IBObjects/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJkY2FxdWYxBF9TAz
k3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzQwMjkzMARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDcxODMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbWJycw
RzdGltZQMxMTc4MjQ3OTc0>
zU5NzE0BGdycElkAzQwMjkzMARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDcxODMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDc3RuZ3MEc
3RpbWUDMTE3ODI0Nzk3NA--> settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch
<mailto:IBObjects-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest>
delivery to Daily Digest | Switch
<mailto:IBObjects-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery
Format: Traditional> format to Traditional
Visit
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IBObjects;_ylc=X3oDMTJjOGM1MzdwBF9TAzk3MzU5Nz
E0BGdycElkAzQwMjkzMARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDcxODMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDaHBmBHN0aW1lAz
ExNzgyNDc5NzQ-> Your Group | Yahoo! Groups
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Terms of Use | Unsubscribe
Recent Activity

*

5
New
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IBObjects/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZjM3ZjUxBF9TAz
k3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzQwMjkzMARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDcxODMEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdm1icn
MEc3RpbWUDMTE3ODI0Nzk3NA--> Members

Visit
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IBObjects;_ylc=X3oDMTJkOWVmcDBrBF9TAzk3MzU5Nz
E0BGdycElkAzQwMjkzMARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDcxODMEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdmdocARzdGltZQ
MxMTc4MjQ3OTc0> Your Group

* Database
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJiaTlwOWFhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzEEZ
3JwSWQDNDAyOTMwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNzE4MwRzZWMDc2xtb2QEc3RpbWUDMTE3ODI0Nzk3N
A--?t=ms&k=Database+marketing+software&w1=Database+marketing+software&w2=Dat
abase+management+software&w3=Real+estate+database+software&w4=Online+databas
e+software&w5=Customer+database+software&c=5&s=164&g=2&.sig=g6pGF4c1NuMtpJQs
2_lazA> marketing software

* Database
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJiYmh1bXZzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzIEZ
3JwSWQDNDAyOTMwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNzE4MwRzZWMDc2xtb2QEc3RpbWUDMTE3ODI0Nzk3N
A--?t=ms&k=Database+management+software&w1=Database+marketing+software&w2=Da
tabase+management+software&w3=Real+estate+database+software&w4=Online+databa
se+software&w5=Customer+database+software&c=5&s=164&g=2&.sig=E1wTNw0Uv8Y3ShQ
BvzeOYQ> management software

* Real
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJiOXNkbGs2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzMEZ
3JwSWQDNDAyOTMwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNzE4MwRzZWMDc2xtb2QEc3RpbWUDMTE3ODI0Nzk3N
A--?t=ms&k=Real+estate+database+software&w1=Database+marketing+software&w2=D
atabase+management+software&w3=Real+estate+database+software&w4=Online+datab
ase+software&w5=Customer+database+software&c=5&s=164&g=2&.sig=t-Jgj0oKtm2jNk
yhAzEetw> estate database software

* Online
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJicW0zdmc4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzQEZ
3JwSWQDNDAyOTMwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNzE4MwRzZWMDc2xtb2QEc3RpbWUDMTE3ODI0Nzk3N
A--?t=ms&k=Online+database+software&w1=Database+marketing+software&w2=Databa
se+management+software&w3=Real+estate+database+software&w4=Online+database+s
oftware&w5=Customer+database+software&c=5&s=164&g=2&.sig=bpX9JrNp1XZmlpXwYa7
K-g> database software

* Customer
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJiOHA4YTZoBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzUEZ
3JwSWQDNDAyOTMwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNzE4MwRzZWMDc2xtb2QEc3RpbWUDMTE3ODI0Nzk3N
A--?t=ms&k=Customer+database+software&w1=Database+marketing+software&w2=Data
base+management+software&w3=Real+estate+database+software&w4=Online+database
+software&w5=Customer+database+software&c=5&s=164&g=2&.sig=k1eu8JZMX8p0ek_nY
elHmA> database software

Yahoo! Finance

It's
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12jie80l5/M=493064.10512181.11138666.8674578/D=
groups/S=1705007183:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1178255174/A=4507179/R=0/SIG=12de4rskk/*h
ttp://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=50284/*http://finance.yahoo.com/personal-finance>
Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Jobs Jobs Jobs

Yahoo!
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12ige18f3/M=493064.9803220.10510213.8674578/D=g
roups/S=1705007183:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1178255174/A=3848551/R=0/SIG=10o5tjndh/*ht
tp://www.hotjobs.com> HotJobs

Find the right

one today

Search Ads

Get
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12i5lhrck/M=493064.9803227.10510220.8674578/D=g
roups/S=1705007183:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1178255174/A=3848641/R=0/SIG=1312g85fq/*ht
tp://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/arp/srchv2.php?o=US2003&cmp=Yahoo&ctv=Groups2
&s=Y&s2=&s3=&b=50> new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

.