Subject Re: [IBO] Long delay when 1st connecting to database
Author Helen Borrie
At 12:11 AM 15/08/2006, you wrote:
>Hello Hellen:
>
>Changing the suffex helped. I changed it to .IB and now instead of
>4 minutes it only takes 30 seconds. Howeverm 30 seconds is a long
>delay and I suspect many of my cliends will complain. Is there
>anything else I can do to spped up connection time?

Particularly don't open datasets at startup. This isn't
Paradox. Hold off opening any datasets until they are actually
needed. There's a thing that happens called "Prepare" that, unlike
in Paradox, actually interacts with the server. It fetches over all
of the metadata of your queries. If there are lots of them, it
wouldn't be out of the park for it to take 30 seconds.

Have you read the TechInfo sheet on writing client/server applications?

Helen