Subject Re: [IBO] CharacterSet problems
Author Petr Hartman
Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "G. Nau" <b404_r66@...>

> I have problems with character set usage in a IBO/FireBird 1.5
> system.
> Database created with default char set iso8859_1
> Every column is defined by a domain, and each (var)char domain is
> defined as iso8859_1.
> In the IB_connection component I also use character set iso8859_1
> for the connection.
> Now I observe problems using upper/lower chase german umlaut
> characters (ä, ö, ü).
> They are stored correctly but search operations (where clause) are
> not finding the records.
> Example 1:
> select * from customer where upper(name) like :search
> parambyname('search'):='%MÜLLER%'
> is not finding any

You must also specify COLLATE (either when you are creating table or when you are searching data).

1. create table CUSTOMER (NAME VARCHAR(30) COLLATE DE_DE)
select * from customer where upper(name) like :search

2. create table CUSTOMER (NAME VARCHAR(30))
select * from customer where upper(name COLLATE DE_DE) like :search

Petr