Subject Re: [IBO] Any way to get the alias list from the client ?
Author Helen Borrie
At 08:45 PM 8/02/2005 +0000, you wrote:

>Does any one knows if there is a way to get the firebird aliases from
>a Delphi app? Let me explain myself, I have an application which
>connects to n number of databases, actually I have an INI file with
>Database alias and his configuration (Protocol, server, path) in it,
>but now with Firebird 1.5 I think I can eliminate this INI file and
>show the list of databases (I mean just the alias) as a ListBox to the
>end user and he can choose to which database connect, Does anyone
>knows how to achieve this ?

The only way to do this would be to for the client app to read aliases.conf
on the server - which in well-configured networks would be blocked for
security reasons.

On the other hand, using the firebird aliases in the app, instead of paths,
is highly desirable, since the app need not be aware at all of the actual
path.

I would want to replace the path elements in your ini file with alias
names. When deploying, you will need some little script routine to be run
on the server to add or update aliases.conf so that the aliases used by
your app will be found by connections. If you use very meaningful names for
your aliases - such as accounts, personnel, etc. then it will be very
simple for your users to choose the right database.

Helen