Subject Re: [IBO] Speed over DSL
Author Daniel Rail
Hi,

At November 11, 2005, 10:14 PM, Don Gollahon wrote:

> I have a client/server school app written with IBO and using FB 1.5.
> It works well on the school's LAN but now some want to access it from
> home over the internet. I've tested this and it is extremely slow.
> I'm using DSL. What can I do to speed this up? The main screen they
> need access to is for grades and is a kind of crosstab table. Data is
> read into a kbmMemTable on the client for 30 students and up to 200
> fields (containing assignment scores which are integers).

> Other screens are not too bad, but the gradebook screen is unacceptably
> slow at reading the data in. Over the LAN it can fill the memtable in
> about 8 seconds. Over DSL it takes 95 seconds.

> Delphi 6 pro, IBO 4.3.Aa.

If you don't want to make any changes to your software, I would
suggest that to use Terminal Services. This would permit your software
to run on the LAN and at the same time permit the user to connect
remotely via a fast secured connection. Also, the remote users would
be able to use their local printers, and even transfer files between
their local computer and the LAN (this will depend on the remote
settings and network/user security settings).

--
Best regards,
Daniel Rail