Subject Re: [IBO] will timeout forceclosed end an OAT in active state?
Author Helen Borrie
At 03:10 PM 11/10/2005 +0000, you wrote:
>will the TIBOdatabase timeout forceclosed property close a
>transaction in an active state?

Yes, as long as ForceClosed is greater than zero. A transaction is only
"active" if it is started but neither committed nor rolled back. From the
help text for ForceClosed:

"All datasets of this transaction will be closed as a result of this
action. If AutoCommit is set true, a transaction Close will attempt a
commit and if an exception is raised it will force a rollback."

>We want to let IBObjects manage the transactions for us but we don't
>want to leave the transaction open.

Then don't use AutoCommit.

>We're using TIBOQueries with implicit default transaction and a single
>TIBODatabase.
>
>we use a button to force a database->Commit and that does roll the
>OAT over but doesn't end the transaction. The transaction sits in a
>state of "active".

Calling Commit does force a hard commit on an Autocommit transaction but it
doesn't change the behaviour of Autocommit, i.e. to start a new transaction
as soon as the existing one is committed or rolled back.

>How can we close the transaction when the app is just sitting there?

Don't use Autocommit.

>We're unhappy to use a timer because want to only measure time when
>user is inactive.

Can't comment on this because I don't understand it.

>In our application we have many tabs with TMS DB string grids and we
>use TIBOQueries that have <default> for their IB_Transaction and the
>queries are pointing to a single TIBODatabase that has the default
>for "DefaultTransaction" and
>database.autocommit=true
>database.isolation = tiCommit
>default properties for database.timeoutproperties

The default for ForceClosed is 0.

>query.pessimistic locking = false
>query.commitAction = caInvalidateCursor
>query.RequestLive = true

The application will be "cold" when all datasets are closed (the situation
following a ForceClosed). RequestLive applies only to open datasets.

>We want the transaction to end but the data to remain visible in the
>grid.

Then don't use Autocommit. You'll also have to remember that any data left
in the buffers after the hard commit is invalid. When work resumes
afterwards, the next Dataset.Open will refresh the buffers.

>Do we have to use explicit TIBOTransaction and do manual commits
>instead of using the TIBODatabase and have autocommit=true?

No to the first, yes to the second. You handle the embedded transaction
just like any other transaction: its properties and methods are surfaced
in the TIBODatabase.

>What are the settings for the implicit <default> transaction that
>TIBODatabase and TIBOQuery have?

Queries don't "have transactions", other than in the context of the
connection. Because you are using only the embedded transaction, you are
only concerned with the defaults of that transaction. You can inspect the
defaults by dropping a fresh TIBODatabase into a new project and inspecting
the transaction-related properties.

Helen