Subject Re: [IBO] Re: How to maintain coherence between 2 databases
Author Helen Borrie
At 07:52 PM 27/07/2004 +0000, you wrote:

>On the other hand I know there are some replication tools made for
>interbase so if your replication is simple maybe you could use those
>tools.
>
>ibo seems to have some tools for replication too (TIB_RPL_Meta,
>TIB_RPL_Sync) but I didn't used them (and the help doesn't say much).

That's because there is a separate help file for the IBO Replication
components. It's a trigger-driven system, too, but it is completely
independent of application logic. It saves parameter values, not static
data; it can be synchronous or asynchronous, or both. In the case of
asynchronous replication, can work out which changes to ignore.

> > b) transfert a file for updating (not as easy to solve dual
> > updating on local and server database of the same data)
>Solved at the application logic.

Replication systems that rely on application logic are very easy to
break. What are you going to do about users who like to mess around their
databases with admin tools, or hire someone to write an application for them?

There is also a fairly substantial difference in complexity between one-way
replication and two-way.

Helen