Subject RE: [IBO] Absolute unique value/generator/SP problem
Author Kevin Stanton
Hi Helen,
The other stuff.dot.dot.dot. is just the same thing but for other
generators - nothing exciting. I knew I could not rollback the generator
assignment and I never as of yet have decremented a generator. I'll look to
change my ways in the IBO app, but will keep the SP around as I am starting
to develop a web app against the same database.
Very much looking forward to your Firebird book!
Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Helen Borrie [mailto:helebor@...]
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 7:15 AM
To: IBObjects@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [IBO] Absolute unique value/generator/SP problem

Kevin,

At 06:51 AM 22/06/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Thanks Paul, GeneratorLinks is a bit too automatic for me as the field
gets
>initialized with a "temporary" order number (incase the user cancels the
>order, don't want to use up an order nbr).
>
>I didn't have a clue about the method qryOH.Gen_ID. This is great to
know
>and does make the code MUCH cleaner.
>(I'm sure I missing some other good things in TIB_Query).

You didn't show us the whole of your SP, either. It kind of tailed off
with "other stuff.dot.dot.dot.dot.

Were you under the impression that you could "roll back" the assignment of
a generator from a SP? Cos you can't: you can decrement the generator
and
cause horrible things to happen...like, errrm, duplicate values...?!?!?!

IBO's GenID() function does exactly what the bits of your SP that you
showed us do, except there is no need to check conditions, of course. So,
if your SP only does what you showed us, then you don't need it for your
IBO apps. OTOH, it might be needed by someone else writing an app in a
less Firebird-friendly dev environment than IBO - that would be the only
justification for keeping it.

Helen

IB Objects - direct, complete, custom connectivity to Firebird or
InterBase

http://www.ibobjects.com - your IBO community resource for Tech Info
papers,

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor