Subject Re: [IBO] Unable to Edit/Save BLOB Text with IBO + Infopower (they referred me here)
Author Chuck Belanger
Hi, Helen:

You are very funny. Thanks for the reply.

> (But I'm curious why you
> have to guess this - don't you have a way to look at your metadata?)

Sure: IBExpert PE, an old QuickView (now IBManager), Marathon, and some others.
Seeing doesn't mean understanding, though. I'm an acupuncturist, not a programmer
or database guy. I learn when I have to, although I follow the groups (FB and IBO)
to get a general feeling. Its quite possible that I did the segment size of 15
after reading that segment size doesn't matter (Please, no comments :) ) It looks
like it does in this particular application.

> Well, it only solves the problem if you don't need to care about character
> sets (as I don't when writing quick and dirty demos). You're getting these
> transliteration messages because you defined WIN1251 as DEFAULT CHARACTER
> SET WIN1251 for the database but ignored the character set attribute at the
> client. You have to set that in your TIB_Connection's CharSet property, to
> match the db's default charset.

Thanks! I'll do that.

But, you're right I'm an American and the whole world should speak English and I
don't care about character sets. (Hey, I'm really kidding!) The people who will use
the program won't need a different character set either.

> That's why you
> have to have a default character set just about anywhere in the world
> except the USA (where people often don't care about correct spelling of
> foreign names, etc.) and maybe Australia (where I've noticed a similar lack
> of concern to spell foreign names correctly).

It's called Americanese and Australianese, respectively. It works for us. How about

Thanks again. I can tell you that I learn a lot from your postings and am looking
forward to your book.