Subject RE: [IBO] Master/Detail - AfterOpen
Author Alan McDonald
Lester,
I don't think MS had much to do with this, did they? It was Borland who made
the event driven stuff in Delphi.. and the BDE.. and TQuery wasn't it?

BTW - the detail afterscroll event fires far too often for my purposes. The
afterOpen event fires once only on each new detail set of data.

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: Lester Caine [mailto:lester@...]
Sent: Wednesday, 15 January 2003 1:44 AM
To: IBObjects@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [IBO] Master/Detail - AfterOpen

> I agree, that we shouldn't necessarily need the detail dataset to
> fire *open and *close events when the master scrolls, but the detail
> dataset's afterscroll event _does_ need to fire. That would be a bug,
IMHO.

If the detail's dataset has scrolled? Which may not be the
case just as there may not need to be an open and close.

I think we are falling into the trap that MS created. There
are many ways to do something, and none of them are
particularly 'right'. And not all of the ways achieve the
same result.

If there are conditions where AfterScroll should fire, but
does not, then that is what Jason is asking for an example
of. I don't use AfterScroll much myself, prefering the
DataSource - OnDataChange which I do know only fires when
the source data has changed, and allows me to update
secondary stuff reliably.

So where is the correct place <g>

--
Lester Caine