Subject Re: [IBO] Conversion from dBase to Firebird using IBO
Author Helen Borrie
Forgive me for starting out by top-posting but I think it's possible from
your comments that you have more than one problem affecting your pump.

At 03:50 PM 2/01/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>I have a conversion utility that is taking data from dbase tables
>into a firebird gdb. The table in question has about 300,000 records
>and over 100 fields.

300,000 records is not a lot of records; but 100 fields is an awful lot of
fields. Are there many indexes and, if so, are they active? If so, you
almost certainly have some performance problems which will get worse as the
pump proceeds.

>I am using IB_Scripts and posting every couple
>thousand records. Initially it starts off fast, but after about
>100,000 records or so, it slows to a crawl. This puts the conversion
>utility at finishing the table in about 3 days (which is just too
>long).

Yes, it's unrealistically long. Something needs fixing.

> I have the scripts posting in their own transaction that I
>create each time and commit.

You need to explain more about this. How are you creating the scripts?

>I have also tried committing the main
>physical transaction (which in my understanding from reading the
>documentation should actually be taken care of on it is own, but hey
>I thought I'd try).

What exactly do you mean by "the main physical transaction" in the context
of scripts?

> I thought maybe it was the BDE trying to scroll
>the something that huge, so I called FetchAll on the dataset to just
>pull back everything. The machine this is running should have more
>than enough resources to handle this. Any other thoughts out there
>that maybe I haven't tried?

More information needed...what does your utility actually do?

Helen