Subject >> Jason please comment<< Re: [IBO] Unicode and IBObjects
Author Helen Borrie (TeamIBO)
At 01:05 AM 19-07-02 +0000, you wrote:

>How can I form a SQL line with a widestring value when the SQL
>property is a TStrings descendant and does not appear to support
>Unicode text?

A non-wide string doesn't matter. The database will take care of it and
properly store the submitted constant in the specified characterset,
provided either:

* your client connection is specified for UNICODE_FSS (IBO provides a
property for this on TIB_Connection and its descendants)

or

* you "tag" the string with the "characterset-casting" prefix, in this case
_UNICODE_FSS <the limitation with these being apparently that the IBO
parser doesn't recognise the characterset-casting prefixes, meaning you
can't pass a unicode string parameter, only a constant =====>> Jason please
comment >

AND

the column that is to receive the value is defined as being characterset
UNICODE_FSS

That is, any mismatch that occurs will occur on the server side, and will
occur when either the client lib doesn't know the string has to be
transliterated or else the transliterated string can't be written to the
designated column because the column itself in not UNICODE_FSS.

Note that you can *write anything* into a characterset NONE column,
including characters from any characterset. The transliteration problems
will occur when you come to read (select) from the column.

regards,
Helen Borrie (TeamIBO Support)

** Please don't email your support questions privately **
Ask on the list and everyone benefits
Don't forget the IB Objects online FAQ - link from any page at
www.ibobjects.com