Subject Re: [IBO] tib_ vs. tibo
Author stanw1950
--- In IBObjects@y..., "Helen Borrie (TeamIBO)" <helebor@d...> wrote:
> At 03:59 AM 08-01-02 +0000, stanw1950 wrote:
> >We have decided to convert to ibobjects in stages and not all at
> >(since our application is too large and complicated). Assuming ibo
> >can coexist with bde, is it better to go with the tib_ components
> >the tibo components? I know that some 3d party components (which
> >use) would only work with the tibo components. Are the native
> >components faster then the tibo ones? Thanks.
> Stan,
> While I agree with Geoff about the long-term benefits of using
native TIB-* components, I'd like to have a little say about your
concept of keeping the BDE around...
> Although it is possible, it's not necessary. The TIBO* components
give you 100% emulation now and your best bet is just to let the BDE
go. Conversion is dead easy and it is sooooo easy to kiss the BDE
> I do hybrid applications - mixing TIB_* and TIBO* regularly. It
really does give you the best of both worlds, especially if you are
not ready to let your TDatasource-compatible controls go. I make
hybrids when I need to output QuickReports. I have some descendant
classes that I don't want to part with yet...I'm not concerned about
most other controls (with the possible exception of the DevExpress
tree comps).
> You could say that I have been all the way with all-native apps and
then have retraced the path to inject some useful things that I can
do by incorporating TIBO and some TDatasource controls...
> regards,
> Helen Borrie (TeamIBO Support)
> ** Please don't email your support questions privately **
> Ask on the list and everyone benefits
> Don't forget the IB Objects online FAQ - link from any page at

Thanks for the replys from TeamIBO. We will try a making our
application into a hybrid.

Helen, I don't totally agree with the 100% emulation. I tried the
conversion process and ran into some problems. For example, using an
AsBlob for a stored procedure parameter (although there is a
workaround). Some master/detail screens didn't work the same way as
with the bde (for example, details not showing when the master was
updated and the master was still in the edit state). How about a
99.9% emulation ;-). Our app has been around for over 5 years with
nearly 300 units, so some of our problems now might be from poor
programming practices (we have an awful lot of tables compared to
querys). You'll probably be seeing more of me from now on. Thanks