Subject Re: [IBO] Suggestion for Team IBO
Author Pirtea Calin
"Geoff Worboys" <geoff@...> wrote in message
news:1749888078.20020106114050@......
> Lists such as this tend always to have a relatively small core of
> consistent contributers, the remainder coming and going as time and
> interest permits. This is normal and not a critisism of users that
> participate less often, we all have to allot our time according to
> our own priorities. However this nature makes it difficult to have
> meaningful polls.

You're probably right about this. Usualy when there is a new member
he(she) tends to want to be very active in the list but most of the times
he(she) won't find the time to do all planed things and the work won't
allow enough time for the list but that doesn't mean a Team IBO badge
woudn't be usefull for the newcomers. I'm in the IBO list for almost a year
and it's quite obvious who's who by now, but i remeber how dificult was
at the begining when i joined the group and Helen helped me, if she had
this badge then i would have known for sure that she walks the path not
only hope she does. I found somehow that she is the mediator of the list
and somehow that felt good. I think such a tag is very important to be seen
in every group because usualy a developer is going to hope for some TeamIBO
opinion on most delicate questions and such opinions would mean a lot more
because
it would mean like this actualy got to Jason even without Jason involving in
the matter.

> * The process of nomination, voting and then acceptance or rejection
> opens the possibility of offending people.
>
> A more private mechanism, for example between Jason and other
> 'TeamIBO' members, may allow such a process to proceed with less risk.
> Indeed it is the regular contributors that generally know how helpful
> another person has been over an extended perioed.
>
> It may be appropriate to also introduce some more tangible measure of
> eligibility - such as length of time a person has been involved.

I completely agree on this.

> * I suggest that 'TeamIBO' should not be associated with any form of
> physical/monetary reward - the existing Trustware concept is
> sufficient to reward significant contributors. IMO anything more again
> opens the doors to possible dissent within the group.
>

> I do appreciate the compliment of being one of the people nominated in
> this discussion but it is a bit like the people you see accepting
> Oscars and other awards, trying to thank everyone by name, and
> sweating in case they have missed someone and so offended them :-)
>
> This has been a consistently friendly, helpful and courteous group.
> Jason expresses his appreciation to contributors well and regularly,
> the mere fact of regular contribution makes the current core
> contributors (implied 'team ibo') fairly obvious to all.
>
> If you proceed with this I would of course wear the 'TeamIBO' badge
> with pride. I just dont feel that it is necessary and I worry about
> the impacts of a too formal mechanism on the group dynamics. For this
> reason I am reluctant to support changes that could result in changing
> the nature of this group.
>
> Just my opinion.
>
> --
> Geoff Worboys
> Telesis Computing

> IB Objects - direct, complete, custom connectivity to Firebird or
InterBase