Subject Re: [IBO] Trustware vs. OS (was: Re: Open Source Marathon)
Author Helen Borrie
At 03:22 PM 07-05-01 -0600, Hans Hoogstraat wrote:
>Hello Jason,
>
>I have been watching and occasionally been playing with IBO for the
>last 2 to 3 years now.
>
>I just have one question as a developer.
>
>With all the difference of opinions, licensing, variety of versions of
>IBO 3.xx, bugs or trouble spots, fixed in future version IBO4.xx and
>not in 3.xx, when do you feel that can I recommend IBO as a stable
>solution to my clients and will I be able to code a client application
>not having to worry about possible coding overhauls, everytime a new
>version of IBO is released.
>
>I love to see a stable version of IBO and it being 'my option' to bring
>my code up to the next level of IBO,

Isn't this a bit like "When did you stop beating your wife?" It's one of IBO's greatest features that it *is* stable, wherever you choose to pause in the release-sub-release-patch cycle.

If all you are doing is "playing with IBO" I can see why you think you need to upgrade every time you decide to dabble. If you were doing this for real, you would stop at a satisfactory sub-r and get on with the job. The only reason to take a new sub-release is if it fixes a problem for you or adds capability that you need. Jason writes detailed, cumulative release notes and keeps the help notes up to date, so there is no excuse for being surprised. Gosh, there are folk out there still using Delphi 2! Are they going to say "Delphi is unstable" because their apps won't compile in Delphi 5?

In any case, there is no reason why changes in the software should affect your clients, is there? Unless you make them compile and test it themselves...

Helen

All for Open and Open for All