Subject Re: [IBO] Open Source Marathon
Author Paul Schmidt
Patrick:

On 5 May 2001, at 11:44, Patrick O'Keeffe wrote:

> I currently have two options on the table at the moment:
>
> 1. I give it to Jason and make it Trustware.
>
> 2. Put it under the MPL and use something akin to the model you
> describe.
>
> I have to admit that based on current input from existing customers,
> that I am currently leaning towards 2.

The trustware model, could actually work better if it's done
correctly. What I mean is that, anyone can download it off the
Internet, but to re-distribute it, or get the source code you need to
have a registered licence. This means the resources are avilable for
Jason or yourself to hire a couple of programmers for it. People get
to review the code, and even fix their own nits. We could even add
to the startup screen, "compliments of " and our company names, so we
can get a little advertising as well.

The problem is that if I need to buy a seperate copy for every client
site, it eats into my profits, and I need as much of those I can get.

Paul