Subject RE: [IBO] TIB_Event Alerter Problem and Application Exit
Author Claudio Valderrama C.

It seems that at day one (day one of IB, not the big bang) Jim designed the
events to use their own connection. At that time, TCP was not the only
protocol supported. Several issues you find in IB are for genericity
reasons, like the CHAR type transmitting the blanks over the wire. Later (at
Borland?) someone changed the event signaling mechanism to use OOB. If this
change was done, it may be the root of the problem: OOB is tricky even with
modern TCP stacks.
There's a bug logged against Firebird in this regard. It affects the
Borland distro, too. I don't remember the bug number, but under some
configurations, disaster will happen with events.

C.