Subject Re: [IBO] Feature Request (Generators) - One last try :) - the explanation why...
Author Corey Wangler
Hey Christian,

Just a thought.... maybe you could put the ID in the upper bits of
the ID instead of the lower bits? You would just have something
like:
GEN_ID(A_GENERATOR,1) + (USER_NUMBER * shift_amount)

Have been looking at doing something like this with 64 bit PKs...
segregating/partitioning the number space to have a separate
region for each database so that replication can proceed easily
without any PK conflicts -- wherever a record is inserted, it would
be guaranteed to have a unique PK across all databases. Simply
initializing all generators in a database before use with the
database identifier....
leading part +/- 0001 to 9222 x10^15 <=-database identifier
counting part 0 to 999,999,999,999,999

FWIW,
Corey.