Subject Re: [IBO] Installer for IBO
Author Leonardo Quijano
On 6 Feb 2001, at 19:10, Jason Wharton wrote:

> I know this is going to sound harsh... My users are developers. If they
> cannot read instructions on how to unzip to a directory of their choice,
> open a package source file and click the install button I am not interested
> in trying to teach them anything more complex. Even if they aren't going to
> get into the internals of IBO's development I think they would be a burden
> on the IBO community as a whole. People at this level aren't going to look
> past IBX because it is right on their IDE pre-installed already.

Well, I guess you're right about that. In fact, I totally agree with
you. Lousy, dumb programmers (to sound more harsh) that can't
learn a thing more than putting buttons on a form are a burden on
the whole computer industry as a whole. But my point it's not
about developers that can't learn at all. My point it's for developers
who don't want to be thinking of a hundred things at the same time
while writing a program. Ok, I know the installer isn't really the best
example of that. It's something you do once and never think about
it again. But there are things that developers want to think about
(like writing programs, writing reports for their bosses/clients, etc),
and there I things that they don't want to think about. And, most
important, that they shouldn't be forced to think about. Like for
example, allocating memory in a C program. I thank Borland many
times for its memory allocation feature that lets me handle strings
in my program, and yet some people like writing "malloc(sizeof
char * n)" everytime they want a new string. I know it is an over-
simplified example, but I think it explains my motivation.

> With version 4 I will have a setup that should be more friendly towards an
> installation system since I have so many packages. It will be a lot of work
> to do the manual install and some form of automation will be nice. I plan to
> do it them but I've got to get the code working before I worry about that
> part. Grids, grids, grids....

> Your comments are appreciated and they are not lost. I'm just frankly
> stating why things are the way they are right now.

Fine. The least I expect is some feedback (nice, friendly feedback,
not lectures about all the hard work and why I shouldn't complain),
so I guess this is a good sign.

Thanks,
Leonardo Quijano