Subject RE: [IBO] Easiest and Cheapest way to convert project
Author Art Metz
Paul,

I assume you've already rejected IBX and the BDE, both of which come in the
box with Professional? (I'm not advocating either, just want to be sure
you've considered all the options.)

You might also consider using Delphi 3 Professional, rather than 5. You
should be able to find D3 for very little money; in fact, I understand it
was bundled with at least one PC magazine based in England.

> How easy is it to convert from Paradox to IBO? I have about
> 50 .dfm and .pas files, and 27 tables, in the project.

If you use the "native" components (TIB_), then you have a lot of work to
do. TIB_* does not work with Delphi's data-aware controls, and does not
support persistent fields. Therefore, I recommend that you use the TIBO
components, which derive from TDataset.

Having said that, you will find that C/S is different from a desktop
database. This is true whatever database you use, and whatever connectivity
model (IBO, IBX, ADO, etc) that you use. You'll need to move away from
TTables to TQueries and seriously understand the different transaction
models. Invest the $30 in the "Getting Started" guide.

> Are there any replacements for QuickReports, that are
> 1) Cheap, 2) Good, 3) Work with IBO.

Again, if you stick with the TIBO components, you'll have no trouble. Ace
Reporter is good and cheap. On Torry's web site you'll find FastReports,
which you might prefer. What did you use for the Paradox version?

Good luck,

Art Metz
AMetz@...